Saturday, January 8, 2011

PCOS

I have been living with PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome probably forever. Of course i only knew about it when i was in High School and i saw my first endocrinologist. My mom and sister also have it. If you don't know what it is, it's basically cysts on the ovaries that cause many things in the body to go awry. It causes higher testosterone, insulin resistance, facial hair growth, weight gain and many other annoying problems. It can also cause you to have a hard time getting pregnant. Having PCOS seems to be more and more common these days. When my mom was first diagnosed they didn't know much about it and just gave her pills to make her have a period. My sister found a doctor that knew more about it and was put on Metformin. I also got my doctor to put me on Metformin when i had kaiser i had to force the doctor to do it and she didn't seem to know much about it. she was surprised when i asked about it because at that time i wasn't looking at getting pregnant and many doctors only give metformin to women trying to get pregnant. Then when i got PAMF i had a great endocrinologist that got me on the right amount to help me and gave me tons more information. I also got to see a nutritionist that had me doing a low carb diet which helped me a lot. For the first time in my life i was able to loose weight (which of course i gained all back with Zoey) and i had regular periods.

My mom was able to get pregnant with my sister and I naturally it took time but had no major complications, my sister got pregnant with Scarlett without really trying and I was able to get pregnant with Zoey the first month we were really trying. I feel like we have had good luck with trying to get pregnant and i hope it will be easy this next time around.

Today I got to visit Scarlett for a few moments before she went off to have her MRI. she was so peaceful just laying in her bed with her little oxygen mask on holding my fingers. I had dinner with my sister, Chris, mom, grandma and Mike at the hospital and then we had Tuckers Ice Cream that dad had brought us for dessert. Right before we left they had finished the MRI and she was coming out of it well. The doctors have said that her surgery will be on Friday now but we are hoping they will be able to move it up so they don't have to wait another week.

1 comment:

  1. PCOS SUCKS, doesn't it?!? I had no idea what it was until I went to get checked out after trying to get pregnant for 6+ months. Such a weird hormonal thing. It's unfortunate that we have to deal with it. I hope it doesn't prohibit you from getting pregnant easily again with your next baby.

    ReplyDelete